OPIP Continuance Offer
Eligibility for the OPIP subsidy
It is an ongoing obligation to maintain your qualification for the OPIP subsidy and you must inform OMA Insurance if your qualifying status changes. If any of the following criteria occur, you will no longer qualify for the subsidized portion of OPIP:
- No longer residing in Canada
- No longer registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- No longer providing medical services in the province of Ontario for at least 15 hours per week due to reasons other than total disability
- Absent from practice for more than 18 months due to a parental leave of absence
Members who are not working the minimum 15 hours per week on average as a result of a disability will continue to qualify for the OPIP subsidy.
If you no longer meet the eligibility criteria for the subsidy, you may be eligible to maintain your OPIP coverage under the Continuance offer (excluding Quebec) provided you:
- Have been covered by the program for at least 12 month
- Provide written notification of your change in eligibility and your intent to continue the coverage within 60 days
- Pay the full cost of the plan
- Be under age 70 for the Critical Illness coverage
If you do not meet criteria a) and b), then your coverage will terminate. If you do not meet criteria d), your Health insurance can continue but your Critical Illness Insurance will end. Under continuance, you are still eligible for Legal Expense Insurance. Health Care Spending Account coverage is not available for continuance and automatically terminates once the subsidy ends.
Continuance offer not accepted
If you do not accept the continuance offer, a termination of coverage letter will be sent to you.
Should you elect to discontinue participating in the plan and then become eligible for the subsidy at a future date, you will be required to provide medical evidence to re-apply for coverage.
Contact us to ask about the continuance program for OPIP.
This plan is underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife)
Manulife, Manulife & Stylized M Design, and Stylized M Design are trademarks of The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and are used by it, and by its affiliates under license.
© 2023 The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company.
All rights reserved P.O. Box 17001 Station Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2J 0G5, 1-888-596-8881 OMAinsurance.com